Want to lose more weight while walking moms? Try the following:
1. Pump up the speed. Start the first few minutes at a comfortable pace. Then step it up, like how fast you would walk if you were 15 minutes late for an appointment. Step it up again and walk as fast as you can. When you can’t sustain that speed any longer, drop it down to a slower pace, and then ramp back up again.
2. Practice good posture. Stand up straight with your eyes forward, not looking down. Keep your chin up to reduce strain on your neck and back. Suck in your stomach with your shoulders slightly back. Bend your arms at the elbow 90 degrees. Keep your elbows close to your body (not out like wings) and pump your arms up and down as you walk. You don’t have to pump your arms high in the air; this doesn’t do much for you except attract attention.
3. Add circuit training. Walk for 5 minutes and then do 1 minute of something different: jumping jacks, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, or tricep dips on a park bench. There are lots of possibilities! If you feel self conscious about doing these things in public, then run for 1 minute. After your 1 minute push, return to walking for 5 minutes, then push again for 1 minute.
4. Make it a race. Walk a particular route and time yourself. Next time you do the same walk, try to beat your time by 30 seconds. Keep doing this until you shave minutes off your original time. When you reach a certain goal, reward yourself with a new workout shirt, movie, or manicure.
5. Do your route backwards. Sometimes you just need a fresh perspective for some inspiration. Walk the opposite direction than you normally do and take in the different scenery. You’ll also hit the hills at different times if the terrain is sloped.
Today’s Action Step: What is one thing you will do to take your walking to the next level?